| There is something beautiful about cooking, picking fresh, crispy, bright looking vegetables from a local store. They actually talk to me and hence I can’t resist picking them up. I know it sounds crazy but since my childhood I have loved going to vegetable markets and get surrounded with greens leaves, red and yellow bell pepper, the white mushrooms, tomatoes are an absolute delight, actually irresistible. Its been a while that I find my mind begins to note down the flavors, color, and the presentation style at all these places where I occasionally go for lunch or dinners. This lead to an attempt growing, and drying herbs myself. The result is amazing, you get pure and divine aroma that makes a dish unique! While reading newspapers and magazines I am easily drawn to the food sections and the customary description of cool treats that usually appear during weekends. So, most of the times I take them as just guidelines and then experiment with healthy ways of cooking. Less oil, no overcooking, no artificial color or flavor, and so far results have been promising. Haha a pat on my back… have tried making butter mushroom with black sesame-seed, pasta, risotto, Thai coffee, ginger tea, coconut milkshake, fresh parsley with blanched broccoli, well done cheese omelette, apple crumble, soups, salads, sandwiches, sorbets, pickles, jams and much more… No, no, no… I'm not claiming to be any great gourmet chef but thanks to my mom, I grew up in a family where everybody loves to eat and almost everybody loves home food. May be because in early 80s and until 90s the concept of ordering food, and eating out was not as prominent as it is today. Every block has options and three out of every six places deliver food when ordered over phone. We as a family enjoyed Saturday evenings dinners which were at one particular restaurant or else we had family friends dropping by. There were occasions when 20 plus people have come home at very short notice and mum flawlessly served them with awesome food on the table (Phew! I have never dared having cooked for more than five people). As a kid I use to see mum cook three-four times a day. I would ask her why not cook one big meal for a day instead of cooking two to three small meals. I also remember asking her why she would cook meals differently. And you know what she said? She said that she likes to cook, she loves what she was doing, so it doesn’t matter to her. Her kids and her husband love it. She also said that if they like what she prepares for the table, then she will be very happy. And that’s all that matters. I started cooking when I moved away from my parents for a job in Hyderabad. Was use to eating good home food and hence could not live with the cafeteria food for long. That forced me to bring my own food instead of buying lunch. Since I get bored of the same food easily, I started experimenting with spices and their combinations. This turned out to be a good idea because I found out it was great way to relax too and also fairly satisfying. My Technique: I learnt how to employ a knife and cut up vegetables, herbs, etc.... realized that sometimes sautéing means let it sit, cook, and caramelize, or at other times it needs to be stirred frequently. It is not being limited by the particular recipe, but being able to alter those recipes, and come up with something that suits you and your "guests" fancy. I guess anyone can cook from a recipe book.....it's the subtle changes that make the difference. To my enlightenment, yes, if you haven’t cooked for somebody else yet, you wouldn’t know how satisfying it is if they say that the food is great and they wanted some more. So, one fine day I decided to invite some friends from overseas to drop by for dinner. They happily agreed and we had a great evening. In retrospect, I think, I love to cook because it is not a compulsion, or been imposed, it is natural, it makes him happy. I do it more when I know that somebody is going to appreciate what I am doing. I am not afraid to try different recipes. In fact, I am very adventurous. I only fear that what if the portion I serve is not enough… Yes, it takes time to become perfect. I have been a vegetarian all my life and recently when I made some garlic pepper sausages for the most important person in my life and he told me that he wants me to cook it again, I felt so happy with my new discovery. He liked it, and that’s all that mattered. And again, the moment I see the plate has no leftovers, for any and every cook, that’s all that matters. Now, I will excuse myself and go make some yummilicious food for myself. May be some day I will be a restaurateur and have you all as my guest… Until then Stay healthy, stay happy, and keep smiling! |